Making time to recharge isn’t always easy. Sometimes you might have too many thoughts in your head or you might be too excited for the next day. However, recharging is important! Sleep and relaxation can help to keep you from getting sick, give you the energy you need, and boost your mood. Here's a relaxation exercise that anyone can use to ground themselves, relax, or fall asleep easier.
Tense and Relax Exercise
1. Get ready. Lie down somewhere comfortable and get ready to relax your muscles from your head to your toes.
2. Take 3 deep breaths. Inhale for 8 counts, hold for 2 counts, and then exhale. Take a look at our video for more deep breathing ideas.
3. Close your eyes. Let your mind relax while you think of a quiet place that makes you happy.
4. Relax your body. Start at your face:
- Close your eyes again.
- Scrunch up your face and count to five.
- Let your face go back to normal and relax.
5. Continue working down the rest of your body, and keep your eyes closed. Squeeze, then hold each body part for 5 counts, then relax. Start at the top:
- Shoulders: Scrunch your shoulders towards your ears.
- Arms: Tighten all your arm muscles.
- Hands: Make two fists and squeeze.
- Stomach: Tighten your stomach muscles; pulling your belly button in toward your spine.
- Back: Let your back arch and squeeze all your back muscles.
- Legs: Flex your feet and point your toes toward the ceiling, then flatten your foot and point your toes.
- Feet: Scrunch your toes like they are trying to touch the bottom of your foot.
Don’t forget to relax after you finish working on each body part. At the end, you should feel refreshed and recharged! Doing this tense and relax exercise can help relax your body and brain. Relaxing helps you calm down and fall asleep, and sleep keeps you healthy and strong. So get some rest and we’ll see you later!
Ready for More? You Might Also Like: