When your kids have a little too much energy, it can be hard for them to sit down and concentrate on schoolwork or be engaged during family time. What can you do to encourage them to use that energy in a positive and healthy way? Get moving! In addition to strengthening physical health, physical activity has been shown to have a positive effect on kids’ concentration and academic performance, so it’s a no brainer. But with so many options to keep your kids active, where do you start? Give fitBoost a shot!
fitBoost was created to make physical activity easy. You’ve got all kinds of options, whether you choose to use our digital version or use the free printable cards to take with you on the go! With fitBoost, being physically active is kid-friendly and fun.
Test fitBoost out right now! Choosing to go digital? Awesome, let’s get started! You only need three things to get started:
- An area with enough space for everyone to move around comfortably.
- The fitBoost Activity on any device. (It’s mobile compatible if you don’t have computer access.)
- Learners, friends, or family to join you in the activity!
Next, press “Let’s Go!” to begin. You’ll automatically get a randomized set of three activities that will get your kids’ bodies and brains active:
- You’ll see a warm-up activity like rollerblading in place.
- You’ll get a movement activity to increase heart rate with instructions for proper form and technique.
- You’ll do an activity to cool your body down and lower your heart rate. Something like a simple stretch, with instructions for proper technique.
With fitBoost online, you even have the option to use a timer, or turn it off and move at your own pace.
Using the free printable cards version? The printable cards are a great option for on-the-go families or for classrooms without access to the digital version of the activity. Each card has an English and Spanish translation, too! Here are three ways to use the cards in place of the digital version:
- In the classroom, use them as task cards or as part of a center activity. Ask kids to do the movement task before moving on to the next card. This is great to keep students engaged!
- Families can keep a set in the car or in the backpack for an easy and positive distraction for the whole family.
- Make them part of a routine or a screen-free activity time throughout the day. Place the cards in a designated area in the classroom or at home.Create a routine where kids get to pick activity cards when they finish an assignment early or before/after they complete a task at home.
Why is fitBoost helpful? According to Dr. Kristen Ford, an expert in physical education and health at Concordia College, taking time out of your day to get your kids’ bodies moving will increase their heart rates and blood flow. This movement encourages more oxygen to travel to the brain and causes your kids to become more alert and focused. Taking a 10-15 minute break every hour will result in increased energy levels throughout the day and boost their brainpower.
Doing fitBoost as a group is a wonderful way to help your kids develop a healthy habit for life. Make the time, use fitBoost, and enjoy the break you take. You’ll be amazed at how great your kids feel and how engaged they are afterward! To see more options and fun activities, check out our video fitWorkout: fitBoost Sport Moves.
Ready for More? You Might Also Like:
Best Movement Breaks to Boost Your Brain
Break Dance Challenge Video
Take a Break Basket Printable