Relaxation is good for your body and mind, and it can help you recharge your energy! Recharging your energy helps you motivate your mood.
When you relax, you’re practicing being mindful. Mindfulness is being aware of your body, emotions, and surroundings. An easy way to practice mindfulness is to close your eyes and pretend you are in your happy place. Imagining that you are in a safe, warm, cozy place can help you feel better when you feel overwhelmed or stressed. Here’s how you can relax and find your happy place.
Find a quiet place to sit or lie down. Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths.
Think about a place that makes you happy. Pick a place that is quiet. It can be a place you have been before like:
- Your grandparent's house
- Swimming pools or the beach
- Parks or a field or a forest
You can also think about a make-believe or magical place:
- A fairy's house
- Inside a submarine deep in the ocean
- On a magic carpet flying high in the sky
If you need help to imagine your happy place, take it step by step.
- How does your happy place look? Is it a sunny day? Is it colorful? What do you see in your place?
- How does your happy place sound? Do you hear music? Do you hear rain drops? Are birds chirping?
- How does your happy place feel? Do you feel the sun's heat on your skin? Do you feel wind blowing your hair?
- How does your happy place smell? Do you smell the ocean? Do you smell flowers?
As you think about your happy place, do you feel your body relaxing? Do you feel better than when you started?
When you feel sad or angry, take time to practice being mindful. Think about your happy place. Practicing relaxation and mindfulness can help you feel calm and motivated. Adults: You can use the same visualization technique yourself—after all, you are your child's most influential model!
Ready for More? You Might Also Like:
Mindset Matters: Building Growth Mindsets in Kids
Upgrade Your Encouragement! 10 Phrases to Mindfully Praise Kids
Breathing Techniques to Inspire Mindfulness in Kids