Sandwich or Roll Up? Have you ever tried a roll up? It is kind of like a sandwich but using a tortilla instead of bread. Create a spiral “sandwich” with these Rainbow Veggie Roll-ups. This recipe can be a fun and different way to eat more veggies! Vegetables are a great way to get the vitamins and minerals you need to power your body and brain throughout the day. Potassium, fiber, vitamin A, and vitamin C are a few of the nutrients you get when you fill your plate with fit foods. When you eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, you are choosing great fuel.
Find the printable version of this recipe HERE.
- Try adding other vegetables like tomato, onion, mushrooms, or summer squash
- Instead of using cream cheese as a base, try hummus, Greek yogurt, or sun butter - the possibilities are endless!
Rainbow Veggie Roll Up
Ingredients: (8 servings)
- 8 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. salt-free lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 cucumber
- 2 celery stalks, cut and thinly sliced
- ¼ head purple cabbage
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- Peel the cucumber using a vegetable peeler.
- Slice the pepper, celery, carrots, and cabbage (be sure to have an adult oversee this).
- Add softened cream cheese and seasoning to a bowl. Combine and fold, using a spatula and scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Place tortilla on workspace and spread 2 Tbsp. of the cream cheese over the tortilla.
- Add veggies in a single layer over the entire tortilla and roll.
- Cut into 8 equal pieces and serve, or refrigerate.
Serving size: 1 roll
Carbohydrate: 4 g
Sugar: 1 g
Total fat: 1 g
Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 1 g
*This recipe is from the Healthy Cooking in the Classroom Program at Family Wellness. Click HERE for more information on how to bring this program to your school or community.