You don't have to wait for mealtime to eat protein. A nutritious protein snack will keep you feeling full until your next meal! Meat and seafood are sources of protein, and so are beans, eggs, nuts, seeds, cheese and leafy greens! Protein-rich foods are great choices because foods that have protein also have other important nutrients, vitamins, and minerals your body needs. Watch this video to learn more about what protein does for your body.
Find the printable version of this recipe HERE.
- Mix your dried cranberries, popcorn, and pretzels before adding the beef jerky and cheese.
- Other ideas for add-ins: shelled sunflower or pumpkin seeds (pepitas), raisins, or dried berries.
Beef Jerky Trail Mix
Ingredients: Makes 16 servings
- 4 oz. block of cheese (cheddar, colby jack, etc.)
- 1 cup chopped beef jerky
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup pretzels
- 1 cup popcorn
- Cut cheese and beef jerky into bite sized pieces.
- Place cheese and beef jerky in a small bowl then set aside.
- With clean hands measure out the dried cranberries, pretzels, and popcorn into a large bowl.
- Combine cheese, beef jerky, dried cranberries, pretzels, and popcorn into another large bowl.
- Mix all ingredients and enjoy!
Serving size: ¼ cup
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Protein: 8 g
Sugar: 11 g
Total Fat: 8 g
Fiber: 2 g
*This recipe is from the Healthy Cooking in the Classroom Program at Family Wellness. Click HERE for more information on how to bring this program to your school or community.