Yogurt parfaits can be great fuel for your body and brain. Nutrients such as protein, fiber, natural sugars, and healthy fats help you move throughout the day! As a family, discuss what foods are great fuel and a make a plan to incorporate them into your mealtimes. Keeping your child involved in preparing and choosing healthy foods is a great way to build lifelong habits.
Are you looking for a fun and healthy snack to help incorporate fruit into your child’s diet? Here is a great recipe to prepare with your child when you are craving a naturally sweet treat!
Find the printable version of this recipe HERE.
- Try different fruits such as, peaches, apples, oranges, raspberries - any of your favorites will do!
- Use Greek yogurt to add an extra boost of protein.
- Mix up the yogurt flavor (try to find yogurt with fruit listed before sugar on the ingredient list).
Banana Berry Yogurt Parfait
Ingredients: (8 servings)
- 24 oz. yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups whole strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 1/2 bananas
- 1/2 cup low fat granola
- 2 Tbsp. confectioner’s sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa
- 3-4 tsp. hot water
- Slice and quarter strawberries and bananas.
- In a small cup or dish, spoon 2-3 Tbsp. yogurt.
- Next, layer 2-3 Tbsp. of strawberries over the yogurt.
- Layer 2-3 Tbsp. of bananas over strawberries.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. of granola over the top.
- In a small bowl, whisk together hot water, cocoa, and confectioner’s sugar until smooth. Spoon 1-2 tsp. over the parfait.
Serving size: 1/8 of recipe
Carbohydrates: 35 g
Sugar: 25 g
Total Fat: 1 g
Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 5 g
*This recipe is from the Healthy Cooking in the Classroom Program at Family Wellness. Click HERE for more information on how to bring this program to your school or community.